Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pond Update!

We got a break in the rain recently which allowed me to work on my pond addition!  Now last year, my son and I dug about 70% of the new pond and this summer I made it a bit bigger. I added some levels, opened the wall of the original pond created a channel between the two ponds and put in an upper pond which will be the waterfall.  It has been terribly exhausting and I realized that I can't dig and lift big rocks for 4 and a half hours and not pay for it later!  So I think this will be the last addition to my pond as I doubt I will have the strength and energy in another 8 years!  While this project isn't complete it is pretty close, so here are some pictures.  Here is the upper and lower levels of my original pond that I put in about 8 years ago.

 Below you can see the lower level of the original pond and the upper and lower of the new pond directly behind.
 You can see that we lined the pond with old carpeting.  This makes the best underlayment as it is flexible, doesn't decompose and protects the flexible liner from roots, rocks and burrowing animals.
 The upper pond did not come with a built in fall so we will have to create one.


The liner is in, and as it fills you add rocks and you trim the extra liner away when you are all done placing the rocks.  I have a lot of rocks to place, a new waterfall to build, and the old waterfall which has been leaking the last couple years will be dismantled and rebuilt as well.
As you can see rocks have been removed exposing the old liner which will have to be removed and replaced.  I have a lot of work to do!!!  I keep telling myself how pretty it will be when it is done and how I will never make the pond bigger again!!!  For now I am taking a break from this project for a little while and I will post pics later as it progresses!

No comments: